Cajun Dirty Rice
- Feb 18, 2020
2 Tablespoons oil, canola or olive oil
1 pound of mixed chicken livers & gizzards, trimmed, rinsed and chopped
1 pound of ground smoke sausage
¾ cup of bacon, chopped (approx. 5 slices)
1 ½ cup sweet Vidalia onion, diced
¾ cup green bell pepper, diced
¾ cup celery, diced
1 Tablespoon of garlic, minced (approx. 2 cloves)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon of kosher salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 tablespoons of dried sage
6 cups of cooked rice, fresh or leftover
¼ cup parsley, chopped
½ cup green onion, chopped
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and bacon and cook until bacon is cooked but not crispy.
- Toss in onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Once onions are translucent add flour and scatter in the skillet. Cook until flour is browned but NOT burned. (approx. 3-5 minutes)
- Add stock and stir until mixture is homogenous.
- Place the chicken livers/gizzards and ground smoke sausage in the skillet and brown.
- While the meat is cooking add Cajun seasoning, salt, cayenne pepper, and dried sage.
- Give the mixture a stir and add the rice. The rice should take on some of the color from the chicken parts and your “dirty” rice is coming to life.
- Once you plate your dirty rice sprinkle with some parsley and green onions.